2 for 1 PRODUCT REVIEW - Marshmallow Shooters! (Blaster, Double Shooter)

Before I begin - thanks to Spin Master for taking a chance on me by letting me review something a little different - Review of "My Scare Pal Sulley - Monsters University Toy"

Alright!  I've known about Marshmallow Shooters for awhile, and they have some great people working for them there.  They've been awesome enough to provide samples to review, so let's first go to the videos -



STATISTICS (Marshmallow Blaster):



STATISTICS (Marshmallow Double Barreled Shooter):

    * Range: Approx 30' - 40' (flat, depending on condition of marshmallows used)
    * Cost: $31.95
    * Available: Now (various retailers)
    * Capacity: 50 mini Marshmallows (includes 2 tubes, 25 marshmallows each)
    * Propulsion: Pump - Push/pull

Whew!

Now right off probably, you're thinking the cost is pretty steep.  And it is, for these blasters.  BUT, I'll say it's still not a bad buy because of the simplicity and hilarity you'll have out of these.  Honestly, the big appeal for me out of the whole line is hitting someone with MARSHMALLOWS.  Firing darts/arrows/ballistic balls has a different mindset for me, but marshmallows seem even more ridiculous to shoot at someone.  Think, Ghostbusters -


Is the price worth the hijinks and the look on someone's face when you tag them with something better suited for s'mores?  I leave that to you to decide.  The Blaster and the Double Shooter both are pretty tough, resilient, reliable blasters (as of this writing, they actually went back and improved some design elements, so you know the Marshmallowville people are always working to bring better products).  I have had some issues in the past, but a lot of the new samples I've been receiving definitely function and hold together much better.  I've had the occasional broken string or had a plunger tube slide out after pulling on it, but like I said it was some time ago, and the newer models are improved.  And customer service is responsive via email AND social media; they won't leave you unattended if you have a problem (at least not in my experience.)  Not to mention, the price I am giving is the MSRP.  You do some searching, you'll probably find a competitive price to own one.

So, the Marshmallow Blaster  - trigger, breech-loaded, and a pump on the back.  When you fire it, there's an audible and satisfying "POP!".  Again, use fresh marshmallows for best  performance.  If you're used to using a stock Ultimate Missile Blast, Blast Bazooka, or some other related type of air blaster, then this isn't too far from that.  Personally, I use it as a shield buster if a game I am at allows shields and large ammo with special rules.  I find the lack of ready sling points a bit problematic when I use it for that purpose, but I make do if I just feel like playing with marshmallows that day.  Simple, elegant, and effective (with fresh 'mallows.)



Next - the Marshmallow Double Shooter!
It's a push-pull shooter, and you load each of the clear plastic tubes with up to 25 MINI marshmallows (no large ammo here).  To load, the tubes pull out of the blaster, and you can position them back in.  However, this is TIME consuming on the field, especially if the marshmallows load odd into the tube.  While the shooter still has enough air moving to push a marshmallow out if it isn't perfectly lined up, that reduces the range a bit.  Although, shooting anywhere from 3 to 5 marshmallows at time in a spread one odd marshmallow might not make a lot of difference.

If you're wondering a bit more about how it works, there's a little door that repositions itself with every pump of the handle, and the air goes into that tube.  So it switches from one to the other.  Just remember to make the motion fast, otherwise it won't fire.  But it'll fire as fast as you can go.  This one IS a bit pricier (at least MSRP, again shop the prices if that's a concern) than the Marshmallow Blaster but for about as proper a shotgun effect as you'll get out of anything out there even now this might be more your speed, but again you give up quite a bit on the reload time.  Like the Blaster, the Double Shooter doesn't have a proper sling point.  You'd have to work out some kind of holster/sling system.

THE AMMO:

Ok, so while the blasters are pretty decent, these do fire marshmallows.  In hot/rainy weather, they get soft.  In winter, they might freeze (and FROZEN MARSHMALLOWS ARE A NO NO).  They tend to degrade a bit, and in some cases the marshmallows get a bit chopped in the breech and leave marshmallow residue all over the inside of the barrel, which can reduce performance.  While you can leave the marshmallows on the ground as they are perishable food, I would NOT RECOMMEND THAT.  Pick up your marshmallows when you're done.  If anything, just to keep any wildlife safe if you are in a park and to not litter anywhere else.  At home, definitely clean up after yourself as well, as you'd hate to attract mice or something related.  Their digestive systems might not appreciate marshmallows.  One other side effect I've run into is folks like to eat my extra ammo when I'm not looking :)  In one case, I've actually had a player run up and yank the tubes of marshmallows out of my blaster (he was trolling me) cause he needed a snack.

Bonus:  If you have any marshmallows left, make s'mores!  Have hot chocolate!  Rice Krispie treats, maybe?  So there's always a case for you to get fresh marshmallows and you won't have to worry about ammo sitting around waiting to be used.  Granted, there IS a part of me thinking I hate to waste food, but there is something strangely comedic to me about tagging a friend with an air propelled marshmallow. 

So there you have it.  I know it's been awhile, but I've got more on the way and hopefully you found this helpful!  Questions?  Comments?  Either leave'em below or use the submission form on the right.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,