Female-centric: Toy blaster companies, you're missing out!

Happy Sunday (or Monday) y'all.  It's been tough to pull away from all the Nerf Elite news that's been exploding across the internet, especially since it looks like the Nerf Retaliator and the Rampage have already hit shelves in some areas.  Not that that's surprising, as there has always been a hiccup or two with the early release of blasters.  A Nerf Longshot was first spotted in a comic book store way before release, the Stampede, Vortex, Raider, all of it.  Some places do, others don't.

ANYWAY, back to what the title of the blog is about; showing that our hobby is not just a gigantic boys' club.  I've had the "Foamme Fatales" gallery running for a good couple years at least, showing that Girls Nerf Too.

More after the jump.... (GIRLS NERF TOO)


Found at Panels on Pages http://panelsonpages.com/?p=46678 - featuring cosplayer SlvrWolfang

Overall though, Nerf and other foam blaster toys still feature predominantly male imagery, as pointed out in this article from TotalFanGirl.com

"... Are these the quintessential "boys toys" and girls don't like them? Obviously not, since I know countless girls that own them and in their launch party video there were women who were clearly having just as much fun as the guys at the party..."

and it's true!  Having been to the launches myself, I meet plenty of ladies who are having a kick out of the blasters and shooting them around.  It's where a majority of the Foamme Fatales came from, actually.  When I'm out and around and I see girls actually playing with these blasters and try to capture that in pictures.  Even the meetup group, TTAGS and with our appearance at Carol Stream, girls play and get just as much into it as the boys. 

NDTL, meetups, the market is there. I've seen plenty of photos from Australian groups (hey, Canberra!  Riverina!) where the girls are all done up in war paint, tactical geared up, and it's great to see.

What does it all mean?  Not just Nerf, but all the blaster companies out there need to take note.  Light strike only involve males in their commercial, and even Buzz Bee commercials I've seen have had all boys.  The only blaster system that's had female representation in their commercials?  Xploderz.  And well... that's about all I'm going to say about them.  But heads up, toy companies I think you're missing out.  I know my niece would like to see a bit more female representation coming out of the sample boxes I get.  Just as it is awesome to talk shoppe with the other Nerf bloggers I meet at the launch party, there is a definite lack of female representation while we do our roundtables on the industry when we meet.

I posted this link on facebook, and I wanted to just further drive the point home with this vid, an 11 year old girl reviewing a Nerf Stampede ECS -



So let's try to show that there's more than just boys in all this!  If you're a female Nerf blogger, let me know!  (Yes, Nerfenstein I see you too:) )  I'll add you to my links!  Ya know, if your blog has recent/consistently updated content and is a good read, just like everyone else I link to. :)  Send in pics to be in the Foamme Fatale gallery!  Get loud!


See you on the field.

Labels: , , , , ,