Nerf N-Strike Elite Rapidstrike CS-18, a closer look

WHOA!  TOO CLOSE!

Better!
STATS:
ANALYSIS:

Let's take a quick look at where we've been.  Nerf Stampede video from the VERY FIRST release party, so many years ago.



Yikes.  Nice to see the quality has (kind of?) improved since then.  

The Nerf N-Strike Elite Rapidstrike CS-18 (as seen in the video at the beginning) is a vast improvement over the Nerf N-Strike Stampede from about 3 years ago.  The Stampede had a direct plunger, but it was big, bulky, hit only 30-40' maybe, and it was a bit back heavy if you were a younger kid (6 D batteries!) and a bit slow on the rate of fire.  Personally, I found that I'd lead a target using half a magazine (9 shots, and the blaster was stock) before getting a hit.

The Rapidstrike doesn't have that problem.  It hits Elite ranges, is smaller, lighter, and fires faster.  Even though the Rapidstrike uses flywheels, I can pinpoint a bit better with this and waste less ammo.  Streamlines being streamlines, I don't expect super accuracy out of them (even Elite ones) so that's not a concern for me.  But the groupings seem pretty decent all the same, even with full auto.  I found the trigger pull responsive, and no lag like there was waiting for the Stampede to prime and fire.  It's a fraction maybe faster, but Nerf tag is a game of inches and seconds in Rate of Fire.  Every little bit helps.  Swapping out mags was smooth, and I recommend 18 round straight mags. 



That being said about magazines, here's the thing - I ran into some issues with reliability.  It got some actual gameplay (hi Des Plaines!  More on that in  another blog post) I used primarily 18 round straight magazines (like the clear one it came with and 3 others.  2 worked (includes the clear) and the others did not.  Further testing is required to see how far the rabbit hole goes about this, so expect a response video to my initial firing test.  I'll also update this blog post.  Need to test drums, and different generations of the 6 round mags too.

Also, adjusting my grip, I hit the mag release once unintentionally.  When things are moving fast, that might be an issue for some people and they will lose the magazine.  Typically the magwell has been strong enough to not drop the mag on me, but it did once so far.  Depending on your mag, it might drop.  Depending on your mag, it might jam.  In this instance, the location of the release is cool, but the classic orientation on the sides might have made more sense.

Mag release is right behind the magwell.  You might hit it trying to avoid revving the accelerator trigger.

Does that justify a $39.99 purchase?  Considering the fun I've had using this (when it works) and that stores have a return policy, maybe.  It really is a ton of fun as a blaster and having something full auto is a welcome function I've missed with the Elite line so far.  Slam Fire just isn't quite the same.  Hopefully my videos are a bit helpful in making a decision, but ultimately it rests on you as a player to see if this is your style.

Aesthetically, this blaster made me think of the carbine from "Aliens" and the adjustable stock made it either comfortable or usable for closer quarters.  Also... the accelerator trigger means dual wieldings :)  And that makes all sorts of things awesome:)  Happy hunting!

Questions?  Comments?  Did I miss something?  Need more info?  Shoot me a message!  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,